Tuesday, November 25, 2008

Maiden Voyage

The old copy of Webster's New Collegiate Dictionary on my desk offers several definitions for pragmatism. One is "a practical approach to problems and affairs." I like this particular definition very much, because it leaves so much room for interpretation. After all, what is practical to one person may seem cold, odd, or even frivolous to another.

Herein lies a most human problem: Two people, both seeking a pragmatic resolution to the same issue, can arrive at very different conclusions. So, while pragmatism may be widely practiced, it is hardly consistent.

I've decided to blog for a lot of reasons. First of all, I like words. I like them written, typed, spoken, sung aloud, served up just about any way at all, as long as they make me think. I used to do a great deal of writing, but I just can't seem to make time for that these days. Since I spend so many hours each day at my computer and hardly any with pen in hand, this just makes sense.

Also, I want to be a voice of pragmatic optimism. I believe we can - and should - take a practical, calculated approach to life's problems, while still remaining hopeful for the best possible outcome.

It's not that I think my posts will be so witty or insightful that everyone should read them. Nor do I feel compelled (or qualified) to set the world right. I simply like reading what others post and hope that some may enjoy this, as well.

And, if you don't, that's OK. I'm pragmatic enough to understand, and optimistic enough to hope that, some day, you just might.

1 comment:

mommakin said...

Welcome to what can be the ridiculously obsessive world of blogging!

I like words, too - and I loved reading yours! Looking forward to hearing more of what you have to say!